Select Page

Kitchen Electrical

Kitchen Electrical

Kitchen Electrical

The kitchen requires more electrical power than any other room in the house. A remodel is a chance to add CFGI outlets to your older home and bring your electrical system up to code. At a minimum, you’ll need a circuit to power ceiling fixtures, recessed lighting fixtures and task lights. You may also wwnt to dedicate a circuit or two for the range, microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher and garbage disposal. Finally add at least one circuit for the toaster, coffee maker, and other countertop appliances.

Think Safety!

The kitchen is the place in your home where you use a myriad of different appliances. That’s why it is important you are aware of all the ways you can practice electrical safety whether you are using your microwave, your electrical stove or your fridge. Here is a list of safety-related tips for the electrical aspect of your kitchen.

1. Use GFCI Outlets

GFCIs, or ground fault circuit interrupters, are meant to protect you and your family from electrical shock. If you are using an appliance plugged into a GFCI outlet and your appliance is exposed to a lot of water, the GFCI will sense this and shut off the circuit in less than a second.

A GFCI outlet can literally save your life so be sure you plug in your appliances in GFCI outlets. If you don’t have any in your kitchen, contact an electrician and have GFCI outlets installed. If you do have GFCIs, be sure to test them every month—you can do this by pressing the “Test” button on the outlet.

2. No Extension Cords – Please!

Don’t Use Extension Cords or Power Strips Permanently.

While extension cords are great if you’re plugging in appliances at a distance, make sure you don’t do this permanently. All your kitchen appliances must be plugged directly into grounded outlets, which can protect you from electrical fires and electrocution. Extension cords and power strips are meant for temporary use.

3. Unplug Appliances not in Use

Countertop appliances like coffeemakers, blenders and electric kettles should be unplugged immediately after use. Leaving them plugged in can increase your energy bill and it is not good for our environment. Many appliances consume energy even if they are not being used if they are plugged in.

In addition to that, if you have your appliance plugged into a non-GFCI outlet and it is exposed to water or falls in the sink, you might be risking electrocution.

4. One Appliance Per Outlet

Ideally, you should only plug one appliance into an outlet. This might seem burdensome but plugging in more than one appliance can overload your outlet or circuit breaker. If you don’t have enough outlets, have them installed by an electrician.

5. Don’t Leave Appliances Unattended

This is an important tip especially for those with little children. Once you have an appliance in use, keep your small children away from the appliance. Children have been known to tamper with appliances by putting objects or utensils in outlets and toasters or by touching a device that is still hot.